I love saving money. Duh. But I also love quality items. So how do I meet the balance for these two? I shop around. I know it takes more time to get a few items from one store and a few at another but it saves you so much in the long run! I didn’t want to overwhelm readers with a huge block of text so I will save my “What not to buy at the dollar store” post for later this week. For now, here are 7 items you should always try to buy at the dollar store:
- Pregnancy Tests-YES THEY WORK. I have a friend who is a reproductive endocrinologist and she said their office ONLY uses dollar store tests (her favorite brand there is New Choice). Apparently they are actually more sensitive that a lot of tests on the market, picking up a positive at 25mIU/ml while most drug store versions are sensitivity of 50 mIU/ml. So save your $10 and get the dollar tree version!
- Floss Picks-The Dollar Tree by me sells these for, obviously, $1 but the pack is a pack of 40 which is a great deal! Even publix brand is $2.29 for a pack of 45 so the dollar tree equivalent is a much better deal.
- Facewash/acne treatment-I buy certain face products at the dollar tree, especially since our dollar tree sells name brands. For example, our store sells Acne Free brand so I get my face washes there (saving over $3 from Amazon’s price). I also get my acne spot treatment stuff here and my apricot scub. I don’t get my face cream here because creams stay on your skin for 10ish hours so I want my cream to be really good.
- Wrapping Paper– At first I was hesitant to believe that the dollar store wrapping paper was a better deal. But then I did the math per square foot and it is in fact cheaper! Not only that, you don’t have to commit to as much paper per roll, you can get more variety which I prefer.
- Greeting Cards-Holy cow when did greeting cards get to be so freaking pricey?? I went to Target and the cards on average were $5.99! THAT’S BASICALLY $6!!!!! So if you have a $5 giftcard to someone you have to spend more than the gift at the store to put it in a card. Nope, not at the dollar store! And they have cute and funny cards, it’s not the main store rejects.
- Balloons-When I was in high school I actually worked at a dollar store. Specifically, the Dollar Discount. Also when I was in high school, it was trendy to get a bunch of mylar balloons to put on your friends’ lockers when it was their birthdays. Working at the Dollar Discount I immediately found that I was saving 75-90% on balloons because each mylar was $1 versus Publix where they are $4.99 or more! So if you have an occasion that calls for balloons, definitely head over to the dollar store.
- Seasonal Decorations (Halloween Decor, Easter, etc)-Around the holidays I get headbands with reindeer antlers on them, halloween I get front door decals, and easter I get headbands with bunny ears! The same headbands with animal ears are sold at CVS for $4.99 so you save BIG getting these items at the dollar store.