I love shopping at Target. Who doesn’t? The lights, the layout, the colors, they all come together to make the buyer feel at home. And that’s the point, Target wants you to feel warm and fuzzies in their store because then your wallet magically pops open and boom, there goes a few hundred bucks!
To me the two biggest money pits at Target are the big red CLEARANCE end caps and the dollar spot.
- The dollar spot is not comprised of one dollar items. In fact, most of the stuff in this section is $3-$5. “Omg Minoo, loosen the purse strings” you’re groaning to yourself. But if I grab a handful of these items every time I shop, I can look back and say I spent hundreds in the “dollar spot” on junk! Save yourself the money, nothing and I mean nothing in that section is worth it.
- The other money pit is the general use of CLEARANCE on the aisle end caps. Target uses these orange and white clearance stickers marking how low these clearance items are and suddenly you feel like you need Essie nailpolish that was originally $14.99 but is now on sale for $10.00. You don’t. Just walk away. If you really need an item, maximize your savings by doubling up with coupons or check amazon.com to see if the price is really a limited-time steal.
Now, how can you SAVE money at target? Here’s how.
- The Target Red Card Debit Card– I love this card because really, the last thing I need is a credit card but a debit card lets me use the money I currently have but at target with an additional 5% off. When you use your Target Debit Card (or the Target Credit Card at Target stores or Target.com, you will receive 5% off your purchases. If you use a REDcard in the same purchase transaction with another form of payment like a gift card, the 5% discount will apply only to the purchase amount tendered to your REDcard. LASTLY, the 5% discount does not apply to the following:
- Prescriptions, clinic services at Target and Target Optical™ eye exams
- Target gift cards and prepaid cards
- Previous purchases
- Target credit account payments, Target Debit Card cash back and cash advances on the Target MasterCard
- Gift wrap and shipping and handling charges on Target.com purchases
- Wireless protection program purchases and deposits required by a mobile carrier
- Cartwheel App by Target–This app is a must have if you frequent target or if you are planning a trip and want to look up coupons. My phone is doing that awful thing where it tells me I’m out of storage even though I’ve deleted everything, so I delete and re-download the target app based on my trips to the store. I will say that the app’s coupons often exclude clearance items so read the fine print. The best savings come when the app has a coupon for an additional savings off clearance items in a category (like apparel). Also, the app today cannot be used for online purchases (but I bet that will change soon).
These are the ways I save and spend at Target, how do you save when you shop there? Tweet, Instagram or message me here!